In partnership with Allegheny County Department of Human Services, we operate a Winter Shelter for men and women who are experiencing homelessness. Last winter, we assisted 904 individuals.
Winter Shelter Hours
November 15, 2018 through March 15, 2019
7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Including weekends and holidays
Winter Shelter Location
UPDATED NOVEMBER 30, 2018
Effective Monday, Dec. 3, 2018, at 7 p.m., the Winter Shelter will return to:
Smithfield United Church of Christ
620 Smithfield Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Downtown)
- Men: Please enter the shelter through the church’s side entrance on Strawberry Way.
- Women: Please enter through the double doors on Smithfield Street.
Our sincere thanks to our community partners at Shepherd’s Heart Fellowship and Veteran’s Home, Fr. Mike Wurschmidt, and the Uptown community for previously hosting the Winter Shelter on a temporary, interim basis November 15 through December 2, 2018, during our time of critical need.
Winter Shelter Services
- A warm, dry place to sleep
- A hot meal served nightly*
- Basic health care
- Benefits and service coordination
- Care management services
- Housing assistance
- Shower and laundry facilities
- Winter clothing
- Information and referrals to essential human services.
* Shelter meals are coordinated by the Northside Homeless Alliance. If your group or organization would like to contribute a meal, please contact Charles Chapman at L.I.V.I.N.G. Ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-302-1678.
Thank You to Our Funders
Funding for the Winter Shelter is made possible by:
- Allegheny County Department of Human Services
- Pittsburgh Mercy’s Operation Safety Net
- Allegheny County Economic Development Emergency Solutions Grant
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield.
How You Can Help
- If you’d like to help underwrite the cost of a meal, please contact Pittsburgh Mercy’s Development Office at 724-934-3537.
- The Winter Shelter accepts in-kind donations of new hats, scarves, gloves, boots, and socks, winter coats, toiletries, and personal hygiene items by appointment. Please contact us at 412-232-5739, ext. 2 to make arrangements.
- If you’d like to volunteer your time or offer services at the Winter Shelter, please contact Genevieve Gigandet at 412-232-5739, ext. 4.
Learn more about how you can help.