In partnership with Allegheny County Department of Human Services, Pittsburgh Mercy operates a Winter Shelter for men and women who are experiencing homelessness. Last winter, we assisted 904 individuals.
Winter Shelter Location
Pittsburgh Mercy’s Winter Shelter
Smithfield United Church of Christ
620 Smithfield Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Downtown)
Hours: The Winter Shelter is open every night from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., including weekends and holidays and regardless of temperature.
- Men: Please enter the shelter through the church’s side entrance on Strawberry Way.
- Women: Please enter through the double doors on Smithfield Street.
Winter Shelter Services
- A warm, dry place to sleep
- A hot meal served nightly*
- Basic health care
- Benefits and service coordination
- Care management services
- Housing assistance
- Shower and laundry facilities
- Winter clothing
- Information and referrals to essential human services.
* Shelter meals are coordinated by the Northside Homeless Alliance. If your group or organization would like to contribute a meal, please contact Charles Chapman at L.I.V.I.N.G. Ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-302-1678.
Thank You to Our Funders
Funding for the Winter Shelter is made possible by:
- Allegheny County Department of Human Services
- Pittsburgh Mercy’s Operation Safety Net
- Allegheny County Economic Development Emergency Solutions Grant
- Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield.
How You Can Help
- If you’d like to help underwrite the cost of a meal, please contact Pittsburgh Mercy’s Development Office at 724-934-3537.
- The Winter Shelter accepts in-kind donations of new hats, scarves, gloves, boots, and socks, winter coats, toiletries, and personal hygiene items by appointment. Please contact us at 412-232-5739, ext. 2 to make arrangements.
- If you’d like to volunteer your time or offer services at the Winter Shelter, please contact Genevieve Gigandet at 412-232-5739, ext. 4.
Learn more about how you can help.