In partnership with Allegheny County Department of Human Services, Pittsburgh Mercy operates a Winter Shelter for men and women who are experiencing homelessness.
Winter Shelter Location
The Winter Shelter will open for the season on Friday, Nov. 15, 2019, at 7 p.m.
Smithfield United Church of Christ
620 Smithfield Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-2506 (Downtown)
The location is the same for men and women.
Hours of Operation
Nov. 15, 2019 through March 15, 2020 (The spring end date may be extended, if conditions warrant.)
7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Every night, including weekends and holidays, and regardless of temperature.
Winter Shelter Services
- A warm, dry place to sleep
- A hot meal served nightly
- Basic health care
- Benefits and service coordination
- Care management services
- Housing assistance
- Shower and laundry facilities
- Winter clothing
- Information and referrals to essential human services.
Thank You to Our Funders
Funding for the Winter Shelter is made possible by:
- Allegheny County Department of Human Services
- Allegheny County Economic Development Emergency Solutions Grant
- Pittsburgh Mercy’s Operation Safety Net.
How You Can Help
We can’t do what we do without wonderful volunteers and donors like you!
Meals, Meal Preparers & Servers
- Shelter meals are coordinated by Pittsburgh Mercy.
- Volunteers are needed to prepare and serve hearty, nutritious meals for 150-180 people. We welcome and encourage participation by faith communities, civic and social organizations, restaurants, and other groups, as well as individuals. Volunteers can prepare a one-time meal or become a recurring meal provider.
- Meals must consist of a protein, a starch, and a vegetable. Cold cuts and thin soups are not nutritiously sufficient. Chili and stews with accompanying sides (e.g., salad, bread or cornbread, fixings, etc.) are accepted and appreciated.
- Meals should arrive hot and ready to serve. We do not have the equipment to reheat food.
- Meals should be delivered to Smithfield United Church of Christ between 6:45 and 7 p.m. Enter the church through the small door to the left of the main entrance. Note: There are two flights of stairs between the entrance and the basement.
- If your group or organization would like to prepare and deliver a meal, please contact Brian Matous at BMatous@pittsburghmercy.org or 412-689-6565 to schedule.
- If you are able to prepare a meal but cannot deliver it, please call Brian Matous at 412-689-6565.
- If you prefer to help underwrite the cost of a meal, please make a donation or contact Pittsburgh Mercy’s Development Office at 724-934-3537. The cost to underwrite a meal is approximately $500; however, donations in any amount are always appreciated. Please indicate that you would like your donation to benefit the Winter Shelter.
The Winter Shelter gratefully accepts in-kind donations by appointment. The items we most need include new:
- Boots (men’s and women’s, all sizes)
- Winter coats (men’s and women’s, especially sizes 1X-3X)
- Personal hygiene items.
Please do not bring items directly to the shelter. Please contact us at 412-232-5739, ext. 2 to make arrangements.
Clinical and non-clinical volunteers are needed. If you’d like to volunteer your time or offer services at the Winter Shelter, please contact Brian Matous at BMatous@pittsburghmercy.org or 412-689-6565.
Learn more about how you can help.
For more information about the Winter Shelter, contact us or call 1-877-637-2924.