In partnership with Allegheny County Department of Human Services and Smithfield United Church of Christ, Pittsburgh Mercy operates a Winter Shelter for men and women who are experiencing homelessness.
Winter Shelter Season Extended to June 30, 2021.
The men’s and women’s Winter Shelter locations will be combined at one location March 15, 2021 and will remain open every night through June 30, 2021, regardless of the weather or temperature.
Smithfield United Church of Christ
620 Smithfield Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-2506 (Downtown)
Phone: 412-689-6565 or 412-263-2545
Hours of Operation
November 15, 2020 through June 30 2021*
7 p.m. to 7 a.m., 7 days a week
For the safety of persons served, only persons served, Winter Shelter staff, and clinical volunteers will be permitted inside the shelter. Housing, behavioral health, and other referrals and linkages will take place virtually by videoconference.
Meal service will be provided by Community Kitchen Pittsburgh. Meals will be pre-packaged and served grab-and-go style.
Winter Shelter Services
- A warm, dry place to sleep
- A meal served nightly
- Basic health care
- Benefits and service coordination
- Care management services
- Housing assistance
- Shower facilities
- Laundry facilities
- Winter clothing
- Information and referrals to essential human services.
To refer an individual for services, please call Pittsburgh Mercy’s Operation Safety Net at 412-263-2545.
Thank You to Our Funders
Funding for the Winter Shelter is made possible by:
- Allegheny County Department of Human Services
- City of Pittsburgh Emergency Solutions Grant
- The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act)
- Highmark BlueCross BlueShield
- The United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania Emergency Food and Shelter Program.
Additional support comes from:
- Pittsburgh Mercy’s Operation Safety Net
- Smithfield United Church of Christ
- Shepherd’s Heart Fellowship & Veterans Home
- Generous donors.
How You Can Help
We can’t do what we do without wonderful volunteers and donors like you!
Meals, Meal Preparers & Servers
- Shelter meals are coordinated by Community Kitchen Pittsburgh.
- To make a monetary donation in support of the Winter Shelter, please click the Give button at the top of the page.
- To make a donation by phone, please contact Michelle Mooney at 412-697-0730.
- To make a donation by mail, please enclose a check made payable to Pittsburgh Mercy and mail to
1200 Reedsdale Street, Third Floor, Attention: Development Office
Pittsburgh, PA 15233-2109
Please be sure to note “Winter Shelter” on the memo line.
The Winter Shelter gratefully accepts in-kind donations by appointment. The items most needed by our individuals include new:
- Boots (men’s and women’s, all sizes)
- Winter coats (men’s and women’s, especially sizes 1X-3X)
- Personal hygiene kits (toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, deoderant, soap, washcloth, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, lip balm, etc.).
To donate gifts in-kind, please contact us at 412-232-5739 and schedule an appointment.
Important: Due to COVID, please do not bring items to the Winter Shelter.
Page Updated: March 8, 2021