- This event has passed.
Parish Nurse & Health Ministry Program hosts “Foundations of Faith Community Nursing Course”
October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
One event on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
One event on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
One event on October 21, 2022 at 8:00 am
One event on October 22, 2022 at 8:00 am
Virtual “Foundations of Faith Community Nursing” Course
A new virtual course uniquely designed for adult learners … come & join us!
2022 COURSE DATES: SEPTEMBER 23 & 24; OCTOBER 1; AND OCTOBER 21 & 22. 8 A.M. TO 4:30 P.M. (INCLUDES 45-MINUTE BREAK FOR LUNCH AND TWO 15-MINUTE BREAKS)
As an educational partner of the Westberg Institute for Faith Community Nursing (WI), a ministry of the Spiritual Care Association (SCA), Pittsburgh Mercy is an approved provider of the “Foundations of Faith Community Nursing” course [based on the curriculum (revision 2019) developed through the Westberg Institute for Faith Community Nursing (the curriculum is owned by Church Health Center of Memphis, Inc., 1350 Concourse Ave., Suite 142, Memphis, TN 38104)]. This five-day, 39.25-hour preparation curriculum is a hybrid course that includes in-classroom virtual presentations via Zoom meetings and online learning modules via HealthStream.
Our focus is on adult learning activities such as small and large group discussion, case studies, storytelling with life application, creating a spiritual care board and self-care plan, daily participant reflections, healing service, brief video clips, music, mindful coloring, guided imagery, and much more. Adult learning is not only about understanding content, but also applying life principles and sharing lessons learned with others. Adult learners excel in safe, non-threatening learning environments that encourage questions with deep reflection. This Course is uniquely designed by the Pittsburgh Mercy Parish Nurse Ministry Team and offers participants a wonderful opportunity to experience spiritual awareness and group faith sharing through virtual learning.
We invite all to this sacred place and time of learning as we allow ourselves to prayerfully reflect on whole-person health … balancing body, mind, and spirit. Our goal is to commission our participants to faith community nursing (FCN) and/or health ministry in order to heed the call for safe, better health and well-being in our faith communities and communities at large. Our instructors have diverse backgrounds, are content experts in the fields of practice they are presenting, and have many years of health ministry experience as both volunteer and salaried faith community nurses.
Foundations of Faith Community Nursing Curriculum: 15 Modules
- The Spiritual Dimension: a) History and Philosophy of Faith Community Nursing, b) Health, Healing and Whole-Person Health, c) Spiritual Care, d) Prayer
- Professionalism: a) Beginning Your Ministry, b) Communication and Collaboration, c) Legal Aspects, d) Ethical Issues, e) Documenting Practice
- Whole-person-centered Health: a) Health Promotion, b) Behavioral Health and Faith Community Nursing, c) Violence, d) Loss, Suffering, and Grief
- Community: a) Assessment and Accessing Resources, b) Advocacy, Care Coordination, and Transitional Care
Credit and Cost: Nurses earning 39.25 CECs – $350; Health Ministers – $250
- Partial scholarships available upon request and on a limited basis. Discount for Pittsburgh Mercy employees. Apply early for $25 discount post marked by August 26, 2022.
- Participants are required to purchase the Participant Guide (course textbook) before this course begins – see this link https://amzn.to/2NIG47d
- Please note, the Course is limited to 20 participants. Participants completing the program will be awarded a certificate with the Westberg Institute for Faith Community Nursing logo.
Westberg Institute prepared faculty: Amy Armanious, DNP, MSOL, RN; Kathryn Conrad, MSN, MA, RN-BC
For more information about the Foundations of Faith Community Nursing Course, please contact us at 412-442-1951 or email ParishNurse@pittsburghmercy.org.
There will be 39.25 continuing education (CE) credits provided to registered nurses. The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. UPMC and ANCC do not endorse any commercial products as a result of this CE activity.
Speakers have no relevant financial or nonfinancial relationships to disclose in regard to Pittsburgh Mercy Parish Nurse & Health Ministry Program, part of Pittsburgh Mercy and Trinity Health, serving in the tradition of the Sisters of Mercy.
2022 Foundations of Faith Community Nursing Course Brochure
2022 Foundations of Faith Community Nursing Course Application